The holiday season is off and rolling and we are just a few weeks away from Christmas. The week of December 5 offers a nice variety of Blu-ray/DVD, VOD and limited theatrical releases you should check out.
Jake Gyllenhaal has taken on some intriguing roles and turned out some fantastic performances, but the one that may get him that Oscar nod could be for playing Jeff Bauman, a survivor of the Boston Marathon bombing. This film is inspiring and personal. The story centers around Bauman’s recovery and fight to overcome all obstacles that face him after losing both of his legs in the bombings. Bauman’s will and no quit attitude is greatly depicted by Gyllenhaal. The film gives a unique first-person account of the terror of the bombings and the aftermath of individual struggle imposed by the events of the bombings. This is a must see film with terrific acting, engaging story, and lots of heart. Check out the story of this courageous man that had to face some improbable obstacles and be inspired.
Stronger releases on Blu-ray, DVD, Digital HD and On Demand on December 19
One of the years most exciting action thrillers stars Charlize Theron as a kick-ass MI6 spy. The movie is set in the late 1980’s and it looks and feels every bit of that time period. The action takes place in Berlin, Germany right at the pinnacle of the Berlin Wall demise. James McAvoy also stars alongside Theron as her sketchy acquaintance, but don’t be confused, Theron is the clear star of the film. It’s as physically impressive performance as she’s given, she puts Jason Bourne to shame with the beatdowns she puts on the baddies. Theron has a fantastic fight scene that’s arguably this years best, it takes up over 10 minutes of continual screen time and will have you gasping with awe. Aside from a somewhat convoluted and confusing plot that has an overabundance of twists and turns, Atomic Blonde is satisfactory and entertaining. It nails the time period and the look of it. Theron proves she can mix it up with the best of them. Simply, this movie is as cool as you could hope it would be.
BONUS FEATURES on 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL
- Deleted and Extended Scenes
- Welcome to Berlin – The ultimate setting for a Cold War spy thriller, Berlin becomes a character of its own. Go behind the wall for this making-off.
- Blondes Have More Gun – Lorraine Broughton has one impressive set of skills. See what it took for Charlize Theron to fully transform herself into this tenacious character.
- Spymaster – David Leitch spins the spy genre on its head through exemplary action sequences and complex characters. Hear from cast and crew what it was like to work with this cutting edge director.
- Anatomy of a Fight Scene – Director David Leitch breaks down the incredibly detailed long-take stairwell shot in this anatomy of a fight scene.
- Story in Motion: Agent Broughton – See Agent Broughton as you never have before in these motion storyboards.
- Story in Motion: The Chase – Gascoigne is on the run. Find out who’s after him in this motion storyboard.
- Feature Commentary with Director David Leitch and Editor Elisabet Ronaldsdottir
Atomic Blonde is out now on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD, Digital and On Demand
Blu-ray Rating: 8/10 (special features including)
July marks the middle of summer and for movie lovers this marks the strongest month of the theatrical summer movie season. As far as the home entertainment movie releases this year has proved to be a strong July. Below is a list of the Blu-ray/DVD, VOD and limited theatrical releases you should see.
THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS:
This franchise isn’t slowing down. The eight installment is action packed and fun. The stunts are bigger than ever and the stakes are higher. Fan favorite Dom Toretto (Vin Diesel) goes rogue and it leaves the rest of the team to go up against him and the villainous Charlize Theron. Jason Statham and Dwayne Johnson electrify (no pun intended, Rock). Sadly Paul Walker is gone, but the franchise is still in good hands with more big name stars coming aboard. There are a couple big reveals also. The franchise fans should love it and any fan of action also. There are a ton of special features on the Blu-ray
‘The Fate of the Furious’ is out now on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD, Digital HD and VOD